




I never really knew what "Remember the Alamo" meant until I listened to the docent at the real Alamo explain that it referred to remembering the atrocities committed on civilians who defended their women and children from attacks on the fort by Santa Ana and his troops in the early 1800's. Now the place has been turned into a shrine, and the weight of the history that happened there is easily discernable even by an eastern tenderfoot. Here's some pictures of the Alamo and also of the "battlefield" -- the green area in front of the building is all that remains. The rest has been lost to hotels and conference centers.
1 comment:
Wow hard to believe that was once something other than a tourist trap...
I like the last pic with the gate halfway down...kind of a strange view to see an agora and a woman walking with a pink tank top instead of sand and rebels!!
Post a Comment